Operations SIG Internet Resources
Contact us at Resources@OPSIG.org
(Please include "OPSIG" in the subject line)
Following are some web pages of possible interest to operations-oriented
National Model Railroad Association
Operations Special Interest Group
Operations e-mail list (Yahoo Group)
The Yahoo Ry-Ops-Industrial chat group is a great place to talk with other modelers,
many of whom belong to the OPSIG, among several other SIG's.
The OPSIG is pleased to interact and participate with folks on this chat list,
but it is not an official OPSIG function and nothing said on the list should
be taken as official OPSIG Board policy.
Layout Design SIG
The La Mesa Club layout remains a truly exciting and memorable experience as
manifested in the movement of a 117 car reefer train over Tehachapi in the 1950's.
Model Railroad Operations
- New River Sub - Heart of the C&O - Kempinski, Bernie - 1998 -
- Walla Walla Valley prototype and Blair Kooistra's model operations,
including photos and industry data -
- Perishable operations on AT&SF - ICC testimony Sept 5, 1956 -
- Switching and Weighscaling rules and explanations at ProTrak software site -
- Stories about how the real railroad really runs - Al Krug's (BN) PicTales -
- The Pennsylvania Railroad
for Conducting Transportation (1956) -
- "The Catechism on the Uniform Code of
Operating Rules" (dated 5/1/1950), scanned
and converted to a series of six PDF files totalling about 30
Said Catechism is actually a training device which explains the
majority of rules and how to interpret and apply them.
Uniform Code derived directly from The Standard Code, said Catechism
is a great aid in learning both Codes.
- Part 1 - cover through page 35 (2.7 MB) PDF
- Part 2 - page 36 through page 71 (2.9 MB) PDF
- Part 3 - page 72 through page 87 (3.9 MB) PDF
- Part 4 - page 88 through page 101 (3.6 MB) PDF
- Part 5 - page 102 through page 111 (1.9 MB) PDF
- Part 6 - page 112 through page 144 (4.3 MB) PDF
- Pennsylvania RR 1955 freight train schedules, connections, etc -
- Rock Island transportation plan schedules - http://www.simpson.edu/~RITS/histories/freight_schedule72/Instructions.html
- Genesee & Wyoming Railroad - extensive resource page. Includes locomotive roster, mileposts, and the complete 1989 book of rules: http://www.rochester-railfan.net/gnwr.htm
- Consolidated Code of Operating Rules - Revised 1959 - with handy index
- Definition of Terms from the 1962 Uniform Code of Operating Rules.
- The Condensed Code of Operating Rules by Stephen Karas provides a concise set of rules to operate model railroads.
- A list (Excel) of the interchange traffic between the NKP and AC&Y at AU Tower in Bluffton, Ohio, in 1944.
Transcribed by Robert Lucas (RobertELucas@MSN.com). Thanks to him and Tony Koester for supplying this.
Page updated: 2016 July 6